Senses Experiment: Brain Box
en español: Experimento: La caja mágica
That it may be tough to identify objects based only on your sense of touch. Touch combined with sight, hearing, and smell is much more effective. It's even tougher to identify objects if you don't have your full sense of touch, like if you have a sock or glove on your hand.
- A few friends
- A medium-sized cardboard box or a pillowcase
- One long gym sock
- Items to fill the box or pillowcase (for example, cup, spoon, ball, block, fruit, sponge, rock, a small bell, cotton ball, pine cone, feather, wood letters or numbers)
- If using the pillowcase, put all objects in the case.
- If using the box, get a grown-up to help you cut two holes in two different sides. It should be big enough for your hand to fit into.
- Over one hole, use strong tape to attach a long gym sock over the hole, so you can put your hand in the sock and reach into the box. Leave the other hole open.
- Add items to the box.
- Have friends reach into the pillowcase or box and try to identify objects. If using the pillowcase, players can wear a sock on their hand.
- See how many items your friends can identify with the sock on their hand. See if they are more successful if they reach directly into the box through the open hole.
- Let them see what was inside the box. See how easy it is now when all senses are restored!