Note: This recipe is especially for kids on a gluten-free diet, who must avoid foods that contain gluten, a type of protein found in many foods.
This gluten-free dish is a great source of iron and protein. The longer you marinate the steak, the better it tastes.
Prep time: 45 minutes
What you need:
- 1-1/4 pound lean flank steak, fat trimmed
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons ginger root, chopped
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons wheat-free soy sauce, light
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped and divided
- 3 cups watercress, cleaned and trimmed
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1/4 cup water
- red pepper flakes (optional)
What to do:
- Place flank steak in a shallow glass dish.
- Combine garlic, ginger, vinegar, soy sauce, red pepper (optional), and ¼ cup onions in a food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Pour half the marinade over the steak. Turn steak to coat both sides. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Store the remaining marinade in the refrigerator.
- Grill the steak on each side for 5 to 7 minutes for medium rare (145°F on a meat thermometer).
- Place remaining marinade into a small saucepan and add ¼ cup water.
- Simmer over low heat and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- In a large bowl, toss watercress, remaining onions, and carrots with warm marinade.
- Slice steak into thin strips and serve steak slices on salad.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 219 calories
- 26g protein
- 10g fat
- 4g sat. fat
- 6g carbohydrate
- 1g fiber
- 67mg cholesterol
- 315mg sodium
- 46mg calcium
- 2.1mg iron
Serving size: approximately 3.5 oz. steak and 1/5 of salad
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
If you don't have watercress, try fresh spinach. Serve with rice.