[Skip to Content]

How Can I Get the Pill if I Don't Have a Family Doctor?

Reviewed by: Amy W. Anzilotti, MD

If I don't have a family doctor and only have my ADHD doctor, how can I get on the Pill without my parents knowing?
– MJ*

Surprisingly, lots of parents are more open to discussing sex and birth control than people think. Starting the conversation is the most difficult part since it can seem so awkward and embarrassing.

If you can't talk to your folks, though, you can still get the Pill (or the ring or patch) from a health clinic like Planned Parenthood. Health clinics can also give you confidential advice on protecting yourself against STDs, like using a condom every time you have sex.

Specialty doctors like your ADHD doc are great at treating people for specific health conditions. But specialists are just that — they focus on one area of a person's health. As you grow and mature, you need a doctor who sees the entire picture and can offer you advice on staying healthy overall.

Ask your mom or dad if you can see an adolescent medicine specialist (a general health doctor who focuses on teens), a pediatrician, or a family practitioner. In addition to offering advice on your changing body or how to deal with things like school stress, these doctors also can prescribe birth control pills and give you confidential information about sex. Your ADHD doctor or school nurse might be able to give you the name of a general health practitioner.

*Names have been changed to protect user privacy.

Reviewed by: Amy W. Anzilotti, MD
Date reviewed: November 2020